Samsung Wins ‘Best Wi-Fi Innovation’ at WBA Industry Awards 2019
Samsung has managed to clinch one of the awards at the 2019 WBA Industry Awards earlier this week. The South Korean tech giant with its winning entry, Galaxy S10 with Wi-Fi 6 and Intelligent Wi-Fi, was awarded the 2019 ‘Best Wi-Fi Innovation Award’ by the Wireless Broadband Alliance (WBA), making it the first smartphone to ever receive the award.
The awards ceremony which was held in Frankfurt, during the WBA’s Wireless Global Congress event, acknowledge exceptional innovations in wireless networks, smart cities and remote wireless deployments in the interests of recognizing and encouraging excellence and promoting successful practices.
Head of Convergence R&D Group at Samsung Electronics, Jong-Mu Choi said, “Samsung is proud that its Wi-Fi innovations have been recognized in such a way. The company will keep working to enable its devices to make use of these new Wi-Fi capabilities so that the improved usability therein reaches consumers as quickly as possible. One example of this is the Galaxy Note 10’s recent accreditation as Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 6, which saw it join the Galaxy S10 as one of Samsung’s certified Wi-Fi 6-capable devices. Going forward, Samsung looks forward to utilizing faster, smarter Wi-Fi connections as the foundation that will allow it to continue bringing added convenience to users.”
The Galaxy S10’s Intelligent Wi-Fi utilizes machine learning to ensure that users’ Wi-Fi connections are both smart and safe. Meanwhile, the Wi-Fi 6 capability in the flagship smartphone provides smartphone support for next-generation technology, boosting download and upload speeds by up to 20 percent compared to previous generations of Wi-Fi.
Here are the complete list of winners of the 2019 WBA Industry Awards.
- Best Wi-Fi Network Operator: KT Corporation – “KT’s GiGA WiFi Premium 2.4 and 4.8”
- Best Wi-Fi Network Technology: Deutsche Telekom – “Deutsche Telekom’s “Seamless Connectivity”- The true Wi-Fi innovation”, Aptilo Networks (tie) – “Aptilo Virtual Service Provider”
- Best In-Home Wi-Fi Network: SK Telecom – “SK Telecom intelligence (AI)-based In-Home Wi-Fi Solution”
- Best Enterprise Wi-Fi Network: Panasonic Avionics Corporation – “Panasonic Avionics’ Inflight Entertainment and Connectivity Ecosystem”
- Best Wi-Fi for Social Impact: Cambium Networks – “Cambium Networks – Connecting the Unconnected”
- Best Wi-Fi Innovation: Samsung Electronics & Broadcom (joint entry) – “Galaxy S10 with Wi-Fi 6 and Intelligent Wi-Fi”